Friday, July 1, 2011

Another brilliant start for Simoncelli

Gresini review day 1 in Mugello
Friday, 1 July 2011

Following his form of the last few Grands Prix, Marco Simoncelli made a great start to the Italian round at Mugello today.

Team San Carlo Honda Gresini attacked the newly resurfaced track with great motivation this morning, setting a solid rhythm and the fastest lap time. Strange conditions in the afternoon caused by light rain meant that only a few riders actually took to the track, “Super Sic” one of many who practically stayed in the pits. However, it was a good start to the weekend for the Italian, who recovered confidence with his RC212V after a crash at Assen.

Marco Simoncelli (1st 1’48.987):

“It has been a very positive day because we were fast from the start this morning. The bike is working well and I can't wait to get back on it tomorrow. It is a shame about the conditions this afternoon because it was hard to tell if it was wet or dry and there was absolutely no point taking unnecessary risks. Hopefully it will be dry tomorrow because riding at Mugello on this new surface is a joy. The bike is set up virtually the same as Assen and I found a good feeling immediately. Obviously we have a little work to do on the electronics but in general I am happy.”

Hiroshi Aoyama (9th 1’50.629):

“Little by little this morning I rediscovered my feeling for my own bike after riding the factory Repsol Honda RC212V at Assen and by the end I had my confidence back. Unfortunately the conditions this afternoon were not good and we didn't get enough laps in to fully evaluate my physical condition after the crash at Assen. I hope we can ride in the dry tomorrow.”